Brant Avenue United Church
On May 12, 1870, "a very protracted talk took place with respect to the necessity of building a second church in some part of the town - a project earnestly advocated by the Superintendent, the Rev. W. R. Parker, as a necessity in the interest of Methodism in Brantford." In these words from the records of Wellington Street Methodist Church lies the beginning of Brant Avenue United Church. The school room of this church at 137 Brant Avenue was finished in December 1870, while the main part of the church was completed in 1871.
Until 1873, when it became independent from the Wellington Street Church, it was known as the Dumfries Street Church. W. H. C. Kerr suggested the name be changed to Brant Avenue. The original school room was torn down, and a new transept and school was built with the church being dedicated on April 11, 1875. The church's golden jubilee was celebrated in June 1921. Originally a Methodist church, it became the Brant Avenue United Church in 1925 when the Presbyterian, Congregationalist, and Methodist churches joined the United Church of Canada.
The rear parish hall was built in 1953. The church burned down on April 20, 1963 (Brantford Expositor, April 22, 1963, p. 11). There was over $100,000 damage and the organ valued at $40,000 was destroyed. The first service was held in the church on May 3, 1964 while it was still being rebuilt and by October 1964, the restored sanctuary was open for worship. The Brant Avenue Church celebrated its 100th anniversary in October 1971.
In 1995, the congregations of Brant Avenue and Zion United Churches voted to amalgamate because of declining attendance. The amalgamated church was renamed St. Andrew's United Church with the Darling Street church across from Victoria Park in downtown Brantford being used for services. Several years later, Brant Avenue Church was renovated into
apartments. Centennial, Brant Avenue United Church: a collection of historical notes and pictures marking the 100th anniversary of the Church provides more information.
Reference: The Brantford Public Library's "Brantford Churches"